This year marks the 14th year the Chandler Sports Hall of Fame will induct outstanding athletes from Chandler. This even is a sports fan’s dream. Almost akin to the Espy Awards, SHOF will honor the athletic accomplishments of eight individuals.
The ceremony and luncheon is co-produced by the Chandler Sports Hall of Fame, a nonprofit organization, and Chandler Museum.
“This is a fun event that leaves any sports fan smiling,” says Jody Crago, Chandler Museum Administrator. “Last year, we inducted Brett Hundley from the Green Bay Packers, the quarterback who has been stepping it up on the field while Aaron Rogers has been injured. And, this year, there are extraordinary athletes who have made a name for themselves in professional volleyball, soccer, track & field, and football.”
On February 10, 2018, at 11 a.m., at the Chandler Center for the Arts, the following individuals will be inducted:
- Chanel Brown, Volleyball, University of Florida, University of Arizona, and Pepperdine
- Hannah Carson, Track & Field, Texas Tech University and Team USA
- Coach Stephen Carson, Track & Field, Chandler High School
- Tony Cascio, Soccer, UCONN, Colorado Rapids, Houston Dynamo, and Orlando City FC
- Glenn Love, Football, UCLA, Saskatchewan Roughriders (CFL), Calgary Stampede (CFL)
- Sidney Parsons, Basketball, University of Bridgeport (CT), Southwest Metro Pirates (Australia), SV Halle Lions (Germany)
- Paul Perkins, Football, UCLA, New York Giants
- Coach Mike Woods, Baseball, Hamilton High School
In addition to recognizing these athletes, the Sports Hall of Fame will also honor the six championship baseball teams from Hamilton High School, led by Coach Mike Woods, in 2003, 2004, 2008, 2011, 2016 and 2017.
“We are excited to celebrate and honor this year’s inductees,” says Marcus Williams, Co-Chair of the Chandler Sports Hall of Fame Committee. “Each of these athletes has made outstanding strides within their sport and it is a point of pride that they call Chandler their hometown.”
Tickets for the ceremony and luncheon are $15, and attendees will get the chance to rub elbows with some amazing athletes. Psst…we have it on pretty good authority that there may be a certain MLB Rookie of the Year in the audience this year.
For more information and tickets, go to chandlerpedia.org